Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lessons Learned

I’m approaching the back end of a long and mostly successful career. With an abnormal abundance of energy and a passion for continuous learning, I’m still not ready to call it quits. But I am finding it increasingly more difficult to wear stilettos to work and to cover the grey in my hair in order to look younger.

On the other hand, it seems that the older I get, the more I know things. I know for example, that if you ignore a problem, it doesn’t go away, if you don’t keep up with the world around you, you become obsolete, and, if you fail to honor people, they will fail to honor you.

Many of the things I know, I have learned from ordinary people, some young, some old, some business professionals, some not. These people have, through their everyday behaviors, taught me lessons on extraordinary leadership.

Other things I know, I have learned from my own mistakes, and there have been many along the way.

I have also had some really good mentors who, while providing me with constructive and sometimes painful feedback, have also treated me with enough unconditional positive regard that I wanted to learn and change.

This blog is my attempt to capture some of the things I know and have learned along the way and to share them with those who value the wisdom that comes from a life well lived.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Kathleen

Virtuous and wise he was, but not severe; He still remembered that he once was young. - Dr. John Armstrong

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kathleen,

I love your blog, the lessons you speak about are so true. Thank you for reminding me of what I should be doing on a daily basis. The courage it takes to be a good HR professional is not easy to do. Many people say they want constructive criticism but really do no want it. Most of my accomplishments are the result of someone having the courage to tell me the truth.

By the way, I think your hair looks wonderful.

I look forward to reading your blog.

Linda